Ask any insurance agent for the most prevalent causes of car accident claims are in the winter time and it’s likely he or she will say slippery conditions. Put the question to the drivers and they probably will list icy conditions among the top five.
Certainly, winter brings with it its fair share of driving hazards. The iciness on the roadways is definitely something to be concerned about.
Is there any one dominant answer to preventing a car accident from the ice factors? You bet, but the winning solution might not fit your needs: Don’t drive when ice, snow, slippery patches and black ice are present – simple as that!
As always, it’s a good idea to review the terms of your auto insurance policy before each season – and especially prior to the winter one when many a collision occurs in greater frequency.
Should you absolutely need to drive in icy road conditions the tips below will be a helpful safety guide.
• Buckle up the safety belt. While this is a given, it is especially important for the driver and passengers to secure themselves before riding in a vehicle in icy weather conditions.
• Don’t drive fast! Speeding in the ice can make tires lose essential traction and cause a driver to dangerously lose control. Exercise extra caution and drive especially slow when in contact with black ice.
• Turn in the direction the car slides to! Steering towards the direction your car or truck is going from the rear is the best way to keep control. In the event you turn too far off, change course and steer in the opposite direction.
• Do not slam on the breaks! Putting excessive pressure on the breaks can make you slide and lose control in icy weather. Remember that the car’s antilock feature will not work properly in these conditions so don’t think you can rely on them!
• Avoid hills or inclines. This is a no-brainer. When gravity mixes with the already unfavorable conditions of iciness, you can find yourself without control and in a very risky circumstance.
• Save the saving for the authorities! Though you are a nice guy, kindness in a situation that can cause a collision is not kind. Do not stop to assist those in an accident because you may slide, exposing yourself and other drivers to the potential dangers of a single or multi-vehicle accident. When it is safe to do so, call the authorities and direct them to the scene of the accident.
And don’t forget, if you do find yourself involved in a vehicular accident, call your independent insurance agent as soon as you notify police. Your insurance professional will direct you in a trying time so the incident will end as favorably as possible.
PRIME Insurance: we’re the 3-generation family-run award-winning independent agency that has been appointed to conduct direct business with more than 40 of the top companies We search our wide network to locate tailored coverage at competitively lowest quotes.HAVE A PRIME DAY™ like thousands of other clients in NJ, NY, PA, MD, CT and other states that have acquired fitting coverage, including cheap auto, low quote commercial umbrella, commercial property, flood, vacant property, renters, homeowners, bonds, workers comp, life insurance and more.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9863221